Monday, May 15, 2006

Defying Scriptures

But Peter said to Him, "Even if all should be offended, yet not I." - Mark 14:29

What was Peter thinking? He says this right after the Lord affirms that scripture will be fulfilled and quotes from Zechariah that the sheep will indeed be scattered. So what exactly was Peter saying? That he will defy what scripture clearly stated will happen? That the scripture did not apply to him?

Elsewhere the Lord says,
I am the vine, ye are the branches. He that abides in me and I in him, he bears much fruit; for without me ye can do nothing. - John 15:5

So when I live my life independent of the Lord, what am I saying? That I can defy what the Lord clearly says - without Him I can do nothing? Or am I saying that the Lord's words does not apply to me?

No comments: