Friday, July 04, 2008

Born King!

Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, saying, Where is He that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen His star in the east, and are come to worship Him. - Matthew 2:1-2

What tremendous words were uttered by these wise men of the east! It is bursting with significance! Pay attention to the question now. It was not "Where is He that is born to be King of the Jews?" Oh no, that was not it. But it was "Where is He that is born King...?"

The former would imply that the Lord Jesus Christ, here born as a baby, would sit on the throne and rule as king someday in the future. Probably in place of Herod the king at that time. However, Herod was not the rightful king of the Jews but a mere puppet king. His kingship over the Jews was hardly recognised by the people let alone by God. And so the Lord Jesus Christ was born King. From His birth He was the rightful Occupant of the throne of the kingdom. At His birth He was declared King already.

It's no wonder then that Herod felt threatened but it's sad that all Jerusalem was troubled along with him (vs 3). It took men all the way from the east to acknowledge the kingship of Christ and offer Him the worship and adoration due to Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the email offer. I noticed it was on your blog, but I didn't want to impose :) You have more time to post! I'm glad.

I agree with what you said, but I can't help but wish the calm seas lasted a bit longer *chagrined face* I find it awesome, though, that God only gives us enough to bring us closer to him. I almost feel spoiled that I get panicky about job insecurity, when I know people who are traveling through pain and sorrow. God has been so good to me, but I know complete trust is an "area of opportunity" in my relationship with him. :)

Jaya said...

feel free to mail me if you want ya. and yes i have just a little bit more time now to post. :)

stormy seas are never easy and we all wish to get out of it when having to go through it. but it's when we're out of it and look back and see how it has made us a better sailor that we become thankful for those rough seas. ah if only we could be thankful while going through it.